Local Government Channel

Local Government Heroes One and All

29/04/2009

I know local authorities often have a bad press. Now I know this is nothing new but I just get the feeling coverage has been even rougher recently. Be it claims of financial mismanagement, poor service delivery or, would you believe it, fat cat pay, the headlines seem to be getting more and more aggressive.

So what's the answer here?  We've tried rebuttal of one sort or another but to be honest it often just confuses and raises the temperature. No, lets focus on what councils do well and what our citizens can relate to. And lets tell those stories not through corporate speak and press releases but through the actions of the men and women who deliver excellent public services on a daily basis to a public who appreciate them.

We're about to announce the 44 finalists for this year's Council Worker of the Year Awards. And we're unashamedly celebrating the work of these heroes of local government. The people who collect the refuse, teach our children, look after our elderly relatives and keep our communities safe. From the 5th of May the public will be able to vote across ten categories and if the last three years were anything to go by they'll do so in their hundreds of thousands.

You see that's real community cohesion. It doesn't come from the mouth of a politician or even, I'm afraid, a chief executive. It comes from real people doing an excellent job. So lets give them the support they deserve and maybe, just maybe, the public will see us in a different light.

Vote Now!

Stephen Horn

CEO, WebsEdge

Comments

Security phrase

All fields are required.

Please read our comments policy before posting your comment.
By pressing the "Post Comment" button you agree to our privacy policy.

Roy Blass  10:14 on 20 May 2009

Sylvia Chapman has to have enriched the lives of those who are blind or partially sighted 100%.Who else would organize a riverboat trip that collectively became "The Boat that Rocked"!!

Blog

Scroll up Scroll down

Discussion

Live Twitter Feed