Local Government Channel

Council Worker of the Year 2010: Green Award

01/06/2010

Yes, we all know we have to cut back on our carbon emissions.  Last week the EU was talking tougher; this week the UN is trying again to move on from Kyoto.  Governments discuss saving billions of tonnes of it; we’re told to work out our own carbon footprint to do our bit.

As a UK citizen I’m personally responsible for about 9 tonnes of carbon a year.   But what does that mean – what exactly is a carbon tonne? It’s not actually that easy to find out what it means in practise away from the rather dry statistics. 

After much searching Rutland Council’s website informed me that a carbon tonne is the equivalent of 10 baby elephants! An Australian broadcaster suggested it’s the same volume as a 3 bedroom house.  Whilst Aylesbury Vale said I’d produce one if I drove my car for 3000 miles.

Over to our finalists for the Green Award at this year’s Council Worker of the Year Awards.  With local authorities responsible for reducing our collective carbon footprint, quantifying the work of individuals is all the more crucial.

Lucy Rees from Islington Council has reduced individual households' emissions by that magic tonne a year - and that's saved them about £109.  A very real and tangible saving.

Leo McMulkin from Birmingham is at the other end of the scale - by recycling the heat produced when electricity is made, he's keeping public buildings across the city warm far more efficiently.  That's the equivalent of planting 5 million trees a year!

Totally different again is Andy Whitfield from Lincolnshire who is behind the building of a fire station for the future - its use of wind and solar power amongst other measures is already cutting potential emissions down by more than 10 tonnes a year.

Plus Steve Cottrell from Bridgend, who's pushing the green agenda through recycling the vast quantities of material left over from road building.  That's saving tens of thousands as well taking the strain off landfill.

Who's doing their bit for the planet most successfully and tangibly? It's a hard one - visit our awards page and have a look at their work.  Then its over to you to vote!

Comments

Security phrase

All fields are required.

Please read our comments policy before posting your comment.
By pressing the "Post Comment" button you agree to our privacy policy.

Blog

Scroll up Scroll down

Discussion

Live Twitter Feed